Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It wasn't all shopping!!

Contrary to popular belief I did do more than shopping when in New York so here are the pics to prove it!!

My favourite thing by far was going ice-skating. We went to the Rockerfellar centre on Sunday morning and the ice rink was fairly quiet so we deciced to give it a go!! I have been a few time before on school trips with the kids I teach and was a child of the boot skates generation but my Hubby had never been. Now he is very athletic and likes to think he is good at all sports. On the way down he was saying "I think I'll be fairly good at this" and well he wasn't hee hee!! Hilarious!


Here's me in action on the ice!!

We also went up the Empire State building at nightime and although we couldn't see the landmarks, the lights and view were amazing - it was freezing up there so we had to keep going in and out to get a heat, my hands felt like they were about to fall off!




I just happened to stumble across the Magnolia Bakery when I wandered down a side street one day and nearly had a heart-attack, any sex and the city fans will know what I mean! I had to buy a cupcake and yes it was as good as they look! We also passed the New York City library where Carrie and big were supposed to get married in the film and I nearly had another heart-attack there on the middle of 5th Ave. I felt as if I was in a film myself!!!



We went into the shop Abercrombie and Fitch on 5th Ave and the only word to describe this place is MENTAL!!! The shop is full to bursting with drop dead gorgeous staff who could easily be models. The music is pumping it actually feels like your in a nightclub! There are staff standing at the top of each stair case just "greeting guests and dancing their funky moves and that is their job!!! CRAZY! After about 20 mins we just had to get out!! As I had commented the whole way around the shop about the 2 babes welcoming you at the door - my husband mortified me when we were leaving by asking the two guys would they take a picture with me!!! CRINGE - I could have died I felt about 14! But they are gorgeous and smelt divine!!


My Abercrombie Babes!

On our last day I had booked us in for Lunch in the Central Park Boathouse - we got engaged in central park in 2003 and it always holds a special place in our hearts so we wanted to do something really romantic!! We took a horse and carriage ride through the park to the Boathouse restaurant - now that is travelling in style!!


The food was amazing and we had a brillaint view out ove the frozen lake (in Summer people can hire boats and paddle out on the lake!!) It was a lovely thing to do and it brought a special end to our trip!

The funniest thing happened on the way to the airport. Friends of ours just happened to be in NY at the same time as us and were on our flight home, so we all decided to share a taxi back to JFK. We asked the guy at the door of our hotel could he get us a mini-bus taxi as we had a lot of luggage and there was 4 of us. He said they couldn't ring for a taxi and he could only call one on the street but he could get us a limo for $85. Now it cost $60 just for 2 of us in a normal taxi so at $42.50 each how could we refuse!! The biggest thrill we got was pulling up at our friends hotel - we just put down the window and shouted out for them to get in. Their faces were a picture!!! Hilarious! So we giggled and laughed all the way to the airport. The perfect end to the perfect holiday.


Although by that stage all I wanted was to get home to see my little man and couldn't believe the welcome we got!!! Awwww!!

6 comments:

Laura said...

Awww, looks like you had a lovely trip :) Lovely photos :)

The Abercrombie store in London is JUST how you described it...mental isn't it!!!

x x x

Clara said...

Looks like you had an amazing time!! Can't wait to see all your makeup too!xxx

Pretty in Pink said...

Looks like a fun trip!!! They actually have a Sex & The City tour in NYC that takes you to a bunch of places from the show.

I used to work at Abercrombie & Fitch... I love that you describe it as "mental" because thats exactly what that place is.

AllieMarie said...

hope you had fun over here!! nyc is so fun=]

Muhsine Emin said...

WOW looks like u had a whole bunch of fun :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely account of your break, I felt like I was there! Its nice to get a break from the kids every now and again and remember why you and your husband got together. So pleased it was such fun xo
BTW Your little man is just the cutest!!